An introduction to credit
90 -120 Minutes
By the end of this course, participants will understand How credit works, types of credit that are available, and if they are ready to apply for credit. To achieve this objective, the participants will be able to:
- Define “credit” and “loan”.
- Distinguish between secured and unsecured loans.
- Identify three types of loans.
- Identify the costs associated with getting a loan.
- Identify the factors lenders use to make loan decisions.
- Explain why installment loans cost less than rent-to-own services.
- Explain why it is important to be wary of rent-to-own, payday loan, and refund anticipation services.
- Describe how to guard against predatory lending practices.
Contact your local branch to set up a Borrowing Basics class for your group, or fill out the form below. Given the importance of face-to-face interaction for our classes, we offer these classes only in geographic proximity to our Vermont-based branch network.
Sign up for one of our free classes and get the knowledge you need to make smarter financial decisions.
Make payments, check balances and more from your smartphone. Download our free Mobile Banking App here. ($3 monthly fee applies to Free Checking for Life account holders.)
Pay bills, check balances and transfer funds all from the convenience of your iPad. Our updated app gives you the convenient access you need. Download the latest version.