Your Own Home
What home ownership is all about
By the end of this course, participants will understand the home buying process and the difference between renting versus owning and financially protecting their home. To achieve this objective, the participants will be able to:
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of renting versus owning a home.
- Identify questions to ask to determine your readiness to buy a home.
- Identify the steps required to buy a home.
- Identify basic terms and required disclosures used in a mortgage transaction.
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of different mortgage options.
- Describe how interest rates affect the “amount” of house you can buy.
- Explain how taxes and insurance affect a monthly payment and the “amount” of house you can buy.
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of borrowing against a home.
- Explain what to do if you are having trouble making payments.
- Describe the different types of refinancing options.
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of a reverse mortgage.
- Identify predatory lending practices and loan scams.
Contact your local branch to set up a Your Own Home class for your group, or fill out the form below. Given the importance of face-to-face interaction for our classes, we offer these classes only in geographic proximity to our Vermont-based branch network.
From lines of credit and cash back checking accounts to cash management and local decision making on loans. Learn more.
We earn the trust of our clients by combining our unique investment approach with true Vermont values of listening, learning and taking action. Find out more.
Make one half of your monthly mortgage payment every two weeks and you reduce your principal, interest paid and length of repayment. Learn more.