Five Ways to Avoid Overdraft Fees
- Use direct deposit for your paycheck so that you have access to your money immediately.
- Keep track of your balance, transactions and automatic payments. View your account online, by phone or at the ATM, 24 hours a day. Merchants Bank offers online banking at mbvt.com and phone banking at 802-865-1695 or 800-852-5969.
- Keep a “pad” or cushion of money in your checking account, just to be safe.
- Link your checking account to a money market or a home equity line of credit. This is a less expensive alternative to using Overdraft Assurance. However, Overdraft Assurance will kick in after these other linked account options are exhausted.
- Merchants Bank Online Banking offers automatic notification when your balance drops below a certain level. Log into your online banking account and click on notifications to customize your notification balance level.
Make payments, check balances and more from your smartphone. Download our free Mobile Banking App here. ($3 monthly fee applies to Free Checking for Life account holders.)
Make one half of your monthly mortgage payment every two weeks and you reduce your principal, interest paid and length of repayment. Learn more.
Pay bills, check balances and transfer funds all from the convenience of your iPad. Our updated app gives you the convenient access you need. Download the latest version.