Text Debit/Credit Card Scam Alert
May 20, 2014
We have received several reports of text messages originating from a variety of non-Vermont area codes attempting to get people to volunteer personal information about their debit/credit card. The sender claims the debit/credit card needs to be reactivated or the accounts need to be changed. These are not legitimate and should be ignored. Merchants Bank will NEVER initiate a call, email or text to you requesting your complete SS#, card number or your PIN number. If you receive a call, email or text you are unsure of, ignore it and call our call center toll-free at 800-322-5222.
Awareness is essential to help combat fraud. If you receive any questionable calls, emails or text messages, do not provide your personal information such as account number, PIN number or social security number.
- Merchants Bank will NEVER initiate a call, email or text to you requesting your complete SS#, card number or PIN.
- Do not call back a number provided over the phone or click on a link in an email.
- To verify whether a call, email or text is legitimate, you are welcome to call us toll free 800-322-5222.
- Most fraudulent communications will include an urgent claim about something that will concern or excite the victim.
- If you think you have been the victim of a scam, file a complaint with local law enforcement and notify Merchants Bank Customer Call Center at 800-322-5222 or contact your local branch.
- The United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team, a department of Homeland Security, offers a current list of cyber-security alerts at http://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/.
- The Federal Trade Commission published information about current scams. For example, read “FTC Halts Massive Tech Support Scams”, 03 Dec 2012 at http://ftc.gov/opa/2012/10/pecon.shtm.
- The Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force maintains a wide list of resources and information dedicated to helping find and report suspected cases of financial fraud. Learn tips for protecting yourself from fraud at http://www.stopfraud.gov/.
- FDIC Consumer News provides practical guidance on how to become a smarter, safer user of financial services. Receive email updates on these issues by subscribing to Consumer Alerts at http://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consumer/alerts/index.html.
Our Adjustable Rate Mortgages can mean powerful savings-with more money in your pocket each month. Plus, our superior, local customer service gives you added peace of mind. Apply today.
Use your Debit Card to pay for gas, groceries, gifts and more. And Rewards Checking customers earn cash back on all POS Debit Card purchases. Learn more.
Make payments, check balances and more from your smartphone. Download our free Mobile Banking App here. ($3 monthly fee applies to Free Checking for Life account holders.)