Telephone Scam Warning
Our debit card vendor continues to receive reports of a telephone scam attempting to obtain personal information from cardholders.
Cardholders have received computer-generated calls claiming to be from their financial institution.
The calls claim the cardholder’s accounts have been frozen and then direct the cardholder to call a toll-free number to leave their debit card information in order to reactivate their cards. The toll-free number includes a recorded message that asks the customer to key their account number, card expiration date, and PIN.
Awareness is key in combating fraud. Should you receive any questionable calls or emails, do not provide your personal information including your account numbers, PIN numbers or social security number.
- Merchants Bank will NEVER initiate a call or email to you requesting your personal information.
- Do not call back a number provided over the phone or click on a link in an email.
- To verify whether a call or email is legitimate, call Merchants Bank at 800-322-5222.
- Most fraudulent communications will include something that will concern or excite the victim.
- If you have been the victim of a scam, file a complaint with local law enforcement and notify us at 800-322-5222 or at your local branch.
Use your Debit Card to pay for groceries, gas, movie tickets and more. And Rewards Checking customers earn cash back on all Debit Card purchases. Learn more.
Make payments, check balances and more from your smartphone. Download our free Mobile Banking App here. ($3 monthly fee applies to Free Checking for Life account holders.)
Our range of residential mortgages are maintained and serviced in-house-keeping our Vermont economy healthier. Check today’s rates and get started.