655 W Broadway, San Diego, CA 92101
- No fees
- Available in all 50 states
- Competitive rates
- Online and mobile accessibility
- Reports payments to three credit bureaus
- Rate discount for autopay
- Loans of up to $100,000 are available
- Clearly discloses rates, fees and terms
- Funds loans the same day
- Rate beat program and satisfaction guarantee
- Hard credit check
- No pre-qualification
- Business loans are not available
- No option to change payment due date
- No direct payment to creditors
- Requires several years of credit history
- Limited financial education
- Limited customer contact channels and hours
LightStream is the national online consumer lending division of SunTrust Bank, which recently merged with BB&T and became Truist.
They specialize in online personal loans ranging from $5,000 and $100,000. Loans can be used for almost any reason and are available to borrowers with good to excellent credit all across the USA.
What loans does LightStream offer?
LightStream offers personal loans for various purposes. The top three loan purposes are auto, debt consolidation, and home improvement. In addition, there are other options available, including:
- Family life: Adoption, IVF and fertility treatment, medical, dental, weddings;
- Home improvement loans: Basement remodel, kitchen remodel, swimming pool, hot tub, landscaping, solar power;
- Recreation loans: Boat loans, destination club, timeshares, refinancing and repair, RV purchase and refinancing;
- Vehicle loans and refinancing: New or used cars, motorcycles, refinancing, lease buyout, private purchase;
- Other options: Aircraft, land, horses, horse trailers, debt consolidation, jewelry, and tiny homes.
The lender does not offer loans for:
- Post-secondary education;
- Refinancing ;
What states does LightStream service?
The company funds loans in all 50 states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.
What terms and rates does this company offer?
LightStream offers fixed-rate loans only. You can borrow anywhere from $5,000 to $100,000. The payoff periods range anywhere from 2 to 12 years.
The company keeps the costs low. Their APRs range anywhere from 3.49% to 17.29%, so LightStream is considered a very cheap lender. Moreover, they do not charge you an origination fee or even prepayment or late fees.
How do I qualify for a loan?
To get approved for a loan, you will need to comply with the following eligibility criteria:
- Be at least 18 years old (19 in some states)
- Be a US citizen or legal resident;
- Have a minimum credit score of 660;
- Have several years of credit history;
- Have multiple account types within your credit history, like a car loan, an installment loan, a mortgage, or credit cards;
- Have strong payment history;
- Have enough income to repay current debts and a new loan from LightStream (full-time employment, self-employment, investments, retirement savings, etc.)
Can I pay a loan back earlier?
Yes. LightStream charges no prepayment penalties.
Can I take a loan if my credit score is low?
No. LightStream is only suitable for borrowers who have good or excellent credit. If you don’t have any credit history or your credit score is bad, you should choose alternative lenders that offer relaxed approval requirements, for example, Avant and LendingPoint.
How to apply for a LightStream loan?
The application process is completely online. It is quick and straightforward. You will need to provide the following details:
- Personal information (including your name, birth date, address, phone number, email address, and SSN);
- Loan amount, term and purpose;
- Payment method;
- Current monthly housing payments, such as mortgages or rent;
- Employment information;
- Balances of savings and checking accounts;
- Bonds, stocks, and vested retirement assets.
Once you’ve submitted your application, the lender will review it, conduct a hard credit pull and inform you about the status of your application via email. If approved, you will be asked to sign an agreement.
The lender typically sends the money to your account within 24 hours.
How to pay a loan back?
LightStream repayment terms range from 24 to 144 months.
You can repay your loan by invoice, or by AutoPay. When you opt for AutoPay, your payment will be withdrawn directly from your bank account on the due date. With either method, you are able to schedule a one-time payment in your personal account.
Does LightStream have a mobile app?
Yes! The company has a mobile app that makes it easy to manage your loan on the go and stay updated on your account. Using the mobile app, you can apply for a loan, make payments, monitor account balances, update your address and profile, manage banking information, etc.
LightStream is a good option for borrowers with good credit who are looking for decent interest rates, no fees and fast funding. But if your credit is bad, you’d better search for alternative lenders that allow you to prequalify first.
They offered really good loan rates and terms, the lowest APR. The funding process was fast. No complaints. I will surely apply for another personal loan with this lender if I need extra money someday.
The whole process was so fast and simple! Had some doubts about the site’s reliability but it worked! The money was deposited into my account in 20 hours after I had applied.
Hmm……My FICO score is 823 and I STILL DIDN’T qualify a low APR… this is ridiculous. I did not accept their offer and am applying elsewhere. Absolutely useless. Stay away from them because it simply doesn’t matter what credit score you have. Unrecommended lender.
The website was so simple to use, very fast process. Love it!